Opening day, essentially a national holiday to some. The smell of cut grass, peanut shells crunching beneath your feet, the beginning of warmer weather and dinners that consist of hot dogs and cheap beer.
Thursday, April 6, the Charleston RiverDogs open the gates of Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park (commonly known as The Joe) to host the Lexington Legends at 7:05 p.m., in a four-game weekend series that will start off their 2017 season.
RiverDog fans take note- this isn’t just any old Opening Day celebration. Nope. This is an Opening Day AND birthday celebration! The Joe celebrates its 21st birthday with a full on party. What better way to celebrate a 21st birthday, but with a Thirsty Thursday night. That’s right, join the RiverDogs celebration for Budweiser Thirsty Thursday presented by 95SX. Catch the game while partying with music by DJ Natty Heavy and dollar beers at the Budweiser Ashley View Pub. In addition to dollar beers, the first 3,000 fans in attendance will also receive a RiverDogs magnet schedule.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks...right? Or in dining at The Joes' case, buy me some Jacked Cotton Candy Burgers and Angry Apple Pie Shakes! The RiverDogs Food & Beverage department announced that a few new treats will be added to the 2017 season’s menu! Make sure you plan to get one of the following on your next trip to The Joe:
• Jacked Cotton Candy Burger—a combination of cotton candy and cracker jacks topping your normal burger.
• Angry Apple Pie Shake—a sweet treat made with Angry Orchard Cider, fresh apple pie, cinnamon, and vanilla ice cream. #SUMMERGOALS
• Dorito Nacho Dog—an all-beef Hebrew National six-inch hot dog topped with crushed Doritos chips, taco cheese, and jalapenos. Yum!
• New Awlin’s Dog—Your traditional dog topped with freshly cooked crawfish, sautéed peppers and onions with Cajun-inspired brown gravy topping it all off, I do declare.
• Apple and pecan pie can be found at Pie House for a little midgame dessert.
• “Take Me Out With the Crowd” Nachos—chips tossed with cinnamon sugar, topped with cracker jacks, and drizzled with caramel sauce.
• Funnel cake fries at the State Fair stand.
Typical baseball meals not your favorite? Try an alternative at the MUSC Health Fresh & Fit Café like the Harvest Salad, an entire head of lettuce stuffed with quinoa, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, fresh fruit, and feta cheese served up in a souvenir baseball helmet. Also, try Bill Murray’s Black Bean Burger, a local handmade black bean burger topped with cilantro slaw, or how about other a la cart items like the turkey burgers, veggie cups, and fruit cups!
Catch me at the RiverDogs' opening game, I'll be at the Budweiser Ashley View Pub cheering on my favorite Holy City baseball team!
Tickets for Opening Day and other games throughout the season can be purchased online or at the stadium gates. Prices for seating sections vary.